The Mission Statement of Minnekirken reads: We are rooted in Christ and Norwegian traditions to grow disciples and branch out in love. The Bible teaches that a “disciple” is a follower and student of Jesus. Teaching the faith as Jesus did to His first followers is an essential aspect of our ministry.
At Minnekirken, faith formation means that we organically draw from our roots that which cultivates our maturity in Christ and the fruits of His Holy Spirit.
Speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, into Christ. ~ Ephesians 4
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. ~ Galatians 5
Faith formation happens…
1) As we faithfully receive God’s Word and Sacrament ministry in worship—A habit of worship is worth cultivating. As we read in Hebrews 10: Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
2) When we dig deeper in Sunday morning Bible Study—Most Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m., our Pastor facilitates a preview of the coming week’s lectionary readings. We lean into the following week’s appointed Scriptures in ways that prepare us for worship and build community.
3) In our Fantastisk 4th Sunday School—On the fourth Sunday of the month during the school year, Minnekirken offers a special, family-oriented worship service. After the Pastor’s talk with the children in church, kids are invited down to the Festsalen for a fun and active, multi-age class, which covers key Bible stories that prepare Minnekirken’s kids for Confirmation instruction.
4) When we help our children prepare to receive Holy Communion—When parents feel their children are ready to receive Holy Communion (often around second grade), they should petition the Pastor for instruction. Minnekirken offers a two-hour Communion “Funshop” with active learning stations that the whole family can enjoy together. Request the document “Preparing Your Child to Receive Holy Communion” to learn more.
5) When our youth and adults confirm their faith—Pastor will offer opportunities for instruction based on the outline of Luther’s Small Catechism. For youth, this takes the form of several retreat-based experiences. Adults who desire confirmation can enroll in a series of classes; whether this is their first confirmation of faith or a refresher, they can expect a time of inspirational and enjoyable conversation about the Christian faith as it’s expressed at The Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church.
6) When we attend Great Minds@Minnekirken—In our effort to be a center for spiritual and cultural learning, Minnekirken regularly offers educational events that extend beyond our regular ministry. We are blessed to have professors, authors, and other experts bring their passion for our instruction. Check out Minnekirken’s Facebook page for the latest “Great Minds@Minnekirken” events.
7) As we celebrate Expedition Norway Vacation Bible School—Each August, Minnekirken combines Bible stories and Norwegian culture over a week that’s fun for kids and adults alike! Singing, games, cultural food and crafts are all part of each evening’s activities. Our online VBS registration site goes live over the months immediately preceding “Expedition Norway.”